Grandma’s Victorian Cottage was built to match its stately neighbor, the Charles Byington home. This Italianate residence, surrounded by award-winning mature gardens, was built in 1885 for J.W. Ragsdale, a real estate speculator and owner of the Russian River Flag and Santa Rosa Republican newspapers. He sold his home one year later to Dr. J.S. Stone, a prominent local physician.
In 1890, Catherine Byington purchased the house as a summer residence, needing the soothing climate of the region as an adult. According to a daughter-in-law however, as a child Catherine watched her future home being built. The current owners, wanting to rear their family in the “quaint hamlet” of Healdsburg, purchased the house in 1970. In January of 2007, they received The Award of Merit for historic home preservation from the Healdsburg Museum and Historical Society.